Saturday, August 18, 2012

CCCXV.

Hello, friends! I've decided to begin approaching this blog as I did during my (brief) days as a fashion columnist for Sweet Briar's newspaper, "The Voice." People actually read my articles and responded well to them so perhaps I'll be able to gain some more viewership from this new departure.

On another note, I'm comfortably moved into my apartment and LOVING it. I cannot wait until the weather gets cooler because Autumn is truly my favorite season as far as temperature and fashion. Whilst exploring nearby shopping districts of Shirlington Village, Tysons Corner, Old Town Alexandria, and Georgetown, I have quickly caught on to the local utilitarian-chic style. 

From the Metrobus to the Metro to wherever you're going and getting there on time, these shoes where made for walking:

Anything Tory Burch. You can literally walk into any TB stockist, buy a pair, wear them out, and walk for miles. I have a couple pairs of her Eddie flats (one in leather and one in patent) while my mom has a few pairs of her Miller Logo Thong Sandals in patent leather, and we swear by them. The best part about her line is the overall quality, ie. her use of a rubber sole instead of leather which is waterproof and increases traction.


Tip: Always weather treat your leather goods before use!

Another slight obsession are tall Hunter wellington boots. They come in loads of colors and there are super functional. Personally I find the Original Hunters (left) are more for everyday, perhaps not the office, while the Riding Boot is far more stylish, and could be considered acceptable for work. Cleaning them is so simple too. Furthermore, wellies are included in Nina Garcia's The One Hundred: A Guide to the Pieces Every Stylish Woman Must Own.


Cole Haan shoes are also amazing because the company is owned by Nike Air. My dad has SO many pairs of the Tucker Venetian Loafers and swears by them. I see professional men wearing them everywhere around here as well so if you need a gift idea for your guy, you know what to look for. By the way, the boot bellow is waterproof!


If you're ready to step up to investment pieces, then Prada should be your go-to brand. I'm obsessed with my (mom's) Prada pumps. They're a few years old and still look brand new. When my mom bought them, we found the Nine West knockoff pair, and could definitely tell a difference in quality. That being said, I went against my better judgement and bought the knockoff pair in patent nude, and I never wear them because the Prada pumps are just too good. I also hear that Christian Louboutin pumps are comfortable if 4"+ heels are your thing. If your appearance is critical in your field, especially if you hold a leadership position, then that red sole will no doubt make an impression. My only issue with these shoes are the leather soles because they never last, but you can find rubber soul protectors, and even red ones for Louboutins.



Tip: If the pads and heels of your feet are being chaffed to shreds, then go to your local TJMaxx shoe section for a variety of discounted name brand foot petal inserts.

All above shoes and boots via neimanmarcus.com

No comments: